Soprano in g or a, Maple wood
Soprano in g or a, Boxwood
Tenor in d, Maple
Bass in g, two-piece, Maple wood
The cylindrically-bored Renaissance flute was employed both as an ensemble and a soloist instrument between the beginning of the 16th century and about 1680. The most common size was the tenor flute in D, with which experienced players could easily play a tonal range of three octaves. The original instruments tend not to be stamped and can be found particularly in collections in northern Italian museums such as the Bibliotheka della Accademia Filarmonica in Verona. The instrument and it playing characteristics are described by Martin Agricola 1529 and 1545, Jambe de Fer 1556, Marin Mersenne 1636 and others.
We make our Renaissance flutes based on preserved originals, observing historical construction principles to play at the pitches of a=440 Hz, a=415 Hz or a=408 Hz (original pitch) as a single-piece construction.